Unknown Aesthetics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those who are thinking of switching Media to Game Art

2 posters

Go down

For those who are thinking of switching Media to Game Art Empty For those who are thinking of switching Media to Game Art

Post  William_Biedrzycki Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:30 am

Alright. I'm gonna simply state this.

My fiance as well as my roomate Natasha are both media art students. My friends Kurt, Hector, and Ryan, as well as myself, are all game artist majors. I've sat back and watch both Natasha and my fiancee work hour for hour on their homework and both complete their projects in less than half the time that I do. (This includes animation, programming, digitial composition ect.)

Likewise, I've spoke closely to many game artists whom are in my class, and on an average, I've found that all of them spend roughly 2-to-3 days solely dedicating themselves to their homework for a single class. I don't know if its just the classes we've been taking recently or if it's just me, or maybe it's just how it is for our major. However, from my observations in the past two years for the higher-up classes, game artists have a much, much more difficult time and tougher time constraints on their project due-dates.

If you're a media artists and you want to do art for games. I'd suggest sticking with your media art degree, refine your ability to do concept art and enjoy yourself. If you're looking to build things within game engines, script events using Kismet/Matinee or any other editor within game engines, you better make sure you have a passion for it, because this is rediculously destructive on any amount of free time you ever thought you had. In the past week I've probably spent 65 hours on a single project. And it's been like this for the past 6 weeks this quarter, and my entire quarter previous to that for Designing Interior Spaces and Worlds. If I had to hold a job to stay in school, I'd be completely screwed.

Just my two cents.

Toodles.

William_Biedrzycki
Pretty Awesome
Pretty Awesome

Back to top Go down

For those who are thinking of switching Media to Game Art Empty Re: For those who are thinking of switching Media to Game Art

Post  Krash Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi thar. I have to deal with those constraints as well as holding down a job. It's bitchy. Sad
Krash
Krash
Has No Life
Has No Life

http://www.krash1111.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

For those who are thinking of switching Media to Game Art Empty Re: For those who are thinking of switching Media to Game Art

Post  William_Biedrzycki Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:33 pm

Yea you know exactly what I mean. Don't take Level Design until you're absolutely ready. Make sure you have tons of random objects stored away fully textured and UV mapped. Trust me, It'll make your day.

William_Biedrzycki
Pretty Awesome
Pretty Awesome

Back to top Go down

Post  Krash Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am

Level Design isn't offered again for another two quarters anyway. I'm getting jumped into Team Production I (Level Design is a pre-req for it) because I have no other choice. Luckily, it's with Celeste, and she's usually pretty understanding of my slight handicap.

Some people might misconstrue the fact that we take so much longer on our assignments and take it to mean that we're lazier. But, truth be told, most Game Art students I know don't get to play video games half as much as Media Arts students (oh, the irony). It makes me sad.
Krash
Krash
Has No Life
Has No Life

http://www.krash1111.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down